Saturday, July 26, 2008

Thoughts of Gary from Craig


Gary's brother Craig, his wife Kay, Eric and Kathleen

If I were to sit and write down all the memories and stories about my brother Gary it would form a tome probably rivaling Tolstoy's War and Peace in its length. Most of the stories would tell of Gary's love of things mechanical. Gary would pull a rusty old lawn mower out of some one's trash that hadn't run in years and we would be mowing our lawn with it the next day. Gary wasn't only concerned about the condition of the engine in his own vehicles but was always concerned about how every one else's car was running as many of his friends and relatives have already written down and stated.
My Mom and Dad, as well as me and my brothers and sister went through some heartbreaking times with Gary as well. But as Paul wrote in the book of Romans, "All things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to his purpose." My whole immediate family as well as some of my extended family came to Christ and it all started with Gary.
I was amazed as I sat in the pew behind my parents at Gary's wake and listened to all the people who paid their respects that we didn't even know that Gary helped in some way. "Gary fixed my roof after a hurricane", " Gary drove all the way out to my house to help me put in a water pump" etc.
One word that seems to pop into my head when I think of Gary is 'fireworks" . Letting the 4th of July go by without about 2 tons of fireworks was anathema to Gary. I still remember the crater that was left in Jacks backyard in Bensalem. About 6 foot in diameter and about a foot deep. Gary would drive all the way to South of the Border every year and bring back a trunk load. (I still think he got some of them from a military base!)
One story I would like to tell. I went to visit Gary and my parents one weekend when they lived in Delaware and I remarked how much that I liked the watch that Gary had on. He took it off and gave it to me! It was a Rolex. (Of course it was a fake) but it was the best fake Rolex watch anybody ever saw. It was perpetual and the second hand swept just like a real one. It was the best watch I ever had. One day the stem came out and I couldn't set the time anymore and I never bothered to have it fixed. I looked all over for that watch after Gary's passing because I kept it but I haven't been able to find it. I hope that it turns up somewhere. We all miss you Gary.
Your Brother Craig
SOME COMMENTS BY CRAIG
I was always proud to tell my friends and co-workers that I had a brother that worked at the Kennedy Space Center. Every time there was a launch I always marveled that my brother Gary had a hand in it. Now whenever a shuttle or a rocket is launched I will think of Gary.
Its ironic seeing Gary in front of our old red and white Dodge van. The van eventually ended up being his later on.
I remember that Pat! I remember Mom taking him next door to the Conrey's because Jane Conrey was a nurse. The Conrey's also referred to Gary as "The Towhead". If I remember correctly he ended up at Lower Bucks hospital to have his stomach pumped.
From Dad,
He drank corn remover they didn't pump his stomach because they were afraid his stomach would blow out. They admitted him for observation.

No comments: