Friday, July 18, 2008

Thoughts fron Gary's Nephew Jason

This is a post that I have been pondering for a few weeks and I believe now I can put my thoughts into the appropriate words.Some may wonder what has been the biggest challenge or adjustment we have had to make since moving to a foreign field. It hasn’t been the culture, because you learn to adapt yourself, it isn’t the language because there is light at the end of that long tunnel, it isn’t even missing the foods and things from the “homeland” because there will always be another visit, and it’s not even missing out on family get-togethers because again there is furlough. The toughest aspect of moving away is being thousands of miles away when family faces hardship and tragedy.Several months ago Jenny faced a sad time in her family with the illness and subsequent death of her aunt, but we thank the Lord the she was able to make a flight home for the funeral. Several weeks ago my family faced a horrific tragedy that shook us all to the core. My Uncle Gary was killed suddenly and tragically. Not only is Uncle Gary my dad’s younger brother, but his wife, my Aunt Sharon, is my mom’s younger sister. So this event affected everyone to whom I am related. If there was ever a time I wished I wasn’t in Chile it was when my grandfather called me with the bad news. It was a difficult time because we are too far to comfort or be comforted. I wanted to hug my family or even be hugged by them, but distance prevented it. Death in family is one of those “pre-field” conversations that Jenny and I had before leaving. Discussing it and facing it are two different worlds. Although there is sadness for having to feel like a distant spectator while family mourned I do not regret for being in the place where God has called us.
Uncle Gary with my grandparents
Uncle Gary was the kind of crazy uncle that gives kids the fun childhood memories they will share years later. He was full of spontaneity and never seemed bothered with the small stuff. From canoe rides, go-carts, speed boats, jet skis, four wheelers, motorcycles, Uncle Gary & Aunt Sharon always had new toys that made visiting them a new adventure. One time Uncle Gary even rigged up Josh’s power wheels to go extra fast by crossing something, or rigging something with a powered wheel chair motor he found in the trash.When I was a kid he gave me a cap gun that didn’t work. His quick solution was to give me a hammer and send me out on the apartment balcony to bust the caps. Who knows what the neighbors thought. Uncle Gary was the one you can depend on to bring enough fireworks to 4th of July picnics to take out a battle ship. You should’ve seen how high a metal trashcan lid can fly with enough fireworks underneath it! One time Uncle Gary took us on a shark fishing expedition which was something never to be forgotten. I think I was 13. We had everything ready for shark fishing, big ice blocks of fish guts hanging off the back of the boat, the biggest hooks with fish for bait that were bigger than any fish I had ever caught up to that point. We didn’t get any shark that day; my brother Stephen caught some seasickness. How many people even get to even attempt shark fishing? The night before my wedding my car broke down. Uncle Gary checked it out and said; “You’re not planning on taking this on your honey moon are you?” “Uh, yea,” I responded. He laughed, and got the car running. Anyway, his laugh prompted me to borrow a car for the honeymoon. During one of our visits to Florida he took me and Jenny out on his little four person seadoo boat. He proudly announced, “You can’t flip this thing over if you tried”. Somehow that statement became a challenge as he did everything possible to prove that boat couldn’t be flipped. Jenny and I were slung all over the place. One night while sitting in his living room during a visit to Florida he said to Jenny and me; “You guys want to go fishing?” We didn’t know that meant right then. Within minutes Aunt Sharon agreed to watch the kids and we were on our way. He took us inside Kennedy Space Center where he worked to fish off one of their private beaches. Like the shark fishing expedition I came up empty although Jenny reeled in a catch.Every visit to Florida was guaranteed my vehicle would be checked out and my kids were going to be hauled off to the dollar store or taken to the pool. Uncle Gary was a great guy; he could fix anything, and was never too busy to take the time to help someone out.My grandfather started a blog in Uncle Gary’s memory and I invite you to take a visit.
Whenever tragedy takes place we have faith that God will somehow and someway be glorified in or through it.
Tomorrow I will share more...
A Bit Of Comfort In Grief
Whenever tragedy takes place we have faith that God will somehow and someway be glorified in or through it...My Aunt Sharon arranged that donations be sent to our family and the work here in Chile in lieu of flowers. To date we have received $600 for the ministry here. Much of it coming from people I do not even know. Starting next Wednesday is the third annual Youth Congress that the church here in Chile will be hosting. Several churches around Santiago will be bringing their young people to the conference. Every donation that we receive will go toward the expenses of this conference. It is our prayer that through the conference young people will give their hearts to Christ, be challenged to live for Christ, and be helped. The other night we heard of a church coming a good distance with 15 teenagers, so there will be a need for additional funds. Though our family has been hit with an enormous tragedy it is our prayer that through these donations an eternal difference will be made.Thank you to those who gave and thank you for your sympathies and comfort toward my family during our time of grief.

No comments: