Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Memory From Gary's Brother Ron

Gary Brian Kenney
January 22, 1958 - June 16, 2008
On June 16th my 50 year old brother Gary’s died both suddenly and very tragically. This heartbreaking event hit my family like no other in our lives. When I first heard the news my mind was telling me that it was not true even as the words were coming out of my father’s mouth over the telephone.
Denise and I spent one week in Florida to attend the funeral and be with my parents. Many other family members and friends converged on the area to attend the funeral and to be an encouragement to each other. My brothers, Craig, John, and I spoke at the funeral. My parent’s pastor, Dr. Mark Rhodes was truly a comfort and very clearly and powerfully presented the gospel.
Gary is survived by Sharon, his wife of over 20 years, and their three children, Darryl (22), Amanda (17) and Joshua (10). Also surviving are his parents, John and Helen and the aforementioned brothers and our sister Denise DiFilippo. Once my parents moved to Florida after retirement, it wasn’t too long before Gary and Sharon moved down there too. Gary moved into a home only five minutes from Mom and Dad’s home. Gary was an ever present help to my parents around their home and, of course, with their vehicles. Gary was employed at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida. Initially he worked as a heavy equipment mechanic on the huge crawler that transports the shuttle to the launch pad.
Gary loved his family. He had recently took up running. He was running 6 miles per day. On several of the days his ten year old son, Joshua, would join him for the six mile trip to Sharon’s job and then the three of them would drive home together in their truck. Gary has always had an interest and a natural ability for things mechanical. I can remember kids in the neighborhood bringing their mini-bikes to him to fix. He has had a mini-bike or a motorcycle since he was about 10 years old. He has had boats, quads, jet-skis, cars and trucks. One of Gary’s neighbors made the following comment at the funeral reception, ”If you wanted Gary to stop over all you had to do was raise the hood on your car! Gary would either tell you how to fix it our push you out of the way and do it himself!”
For me, Gary was my roommate for much of my childhood. Like most brothers sharing a room, we had our fights, and since Gary was four years older than me, I usuall lost. But we also had a lot of fun. I can remember goofing off until we heard Dad’s footsteps creaking down the stairs. We spent many nights up later than we were supposed to watching reruns of Hogan’s Heros and Dick Vandyke on our smal black and white TV. Gary tried his best to teach me to ride a dirt bike. On one occasision he was trying to teach me to do a “hole shot.” I panicked, pulled back on the throttle and hit a pole in the back yard and was promptly sent over the handle bars. If we road together, I usually spent most of the time trying to catch up to Gary. He was the one that always had to go faster, jump higher and just push the bike to the limit.
My brother Craig pointed out something very important when he spoke at the funeral. It was around this time that both my parents came the Christ. This struggle brought my parents even closer to the Lord and during this time they were praying for all of their children. Praise the Lord, one by one they all came to Christ. As I look at this event that we are dealing with now and will continue to deal with in the days ahead, I wonder if any good can come from it. In the immediate view, the gospel was preached at my brother’s funeral. My family, including uncles and cousins, has been brought closer together.
I rest in the assurance that we serve a God that sees around the corners ahead and sees through all of the shadows.

Psalm 107:14-15
He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder. Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

William Cowper, authored many poems and hymns including the well know There is a Fountain Filled with Blood. I have found encouragement in the one below titled,
God Moves in a Mysterious Way.
God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea And rides upon the storm.
Deep in unfathomable mines Of never failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs And works His sovereign will.
Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break In blessings on your head.
Judge not the Lord by feeble sense, But trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face.
His purposes will ripen fast, Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste, But sweet will be the flower.
Blind unbelief is sure to err And scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter, And He will make it plain.

Thank you too all of those that have written, called and especially prayed for my family during this time.
Ron and Denise Kenney

No comments: