Saturday, July 19, 2008

LISA'S MEMORIES OF UNCLE GARY

Before Lisa moved to Indiana she lived across the street from Gary.
Lisa is Gary's brother Jack's daughter

My memories of Uncle Gary are few-and-far-between because we moved so far away when I was so young. But he was my uncle, and the impression he made on me at such a young age makes the memories I have of him very fresh. It's really hard to believe that he's gone, that I'll never get a chance to see him again, or to introduce him to my little girl. He and Joel got along so well when they met, and I'm so sad they didn't have a chance to get better acquainted. Going to his funeral was the most horrible thing I've ever had to go to (and hopefully it's the worst thing from here on out). However, I have to remind myself that Uncle Gary is happy now, and I'm sure he wants everyone else to be happy too.

Here are a few of the memories I have of Uncle Gary.
He bought me an anatomically correct BOY doll on accident one Christmas! So he took it back and bought me my very first Barbie (to my mom's disapproval). He dressed up as Santa and came over to our house one year (my dad has a picture somewhere, I think). I wasn't fooled, though, and gave him a big "hi, Uncle Gary!" He was pretty disappointed!

I was the flower girl in his wedding. Uncle Gary had a moustache back then. No matter how many years after he shaved it off, he just never looked right to me without it (even to this day!).
Uncle Gary gave us motorcycle rides in my backyard on Lewisville Avenue when we were little. I'll never forget watching him pop a wheelie with Stephen on the front!
He bought the best, most expensive, most illegal fireworks. He introduced me to the joy of parachutes. They'll always be my favorite fireworks. I'll never forget collecting as many as I could. I had a pink one and an orange one hanging in my closet in Pennsylvania until we moved.
He came to visit us in Indiana once. He bought fireworks and set them off in our backyard (and we lived next to an ex-police officer, no less).
We also played Wheel of Fortune while he visited. And of course, he cheated the ENTIRE time, even when I finally figured it out! I was only 10! I remember Nana telling us she had to put duct tape on her Rummikub set because Uncle Gary could see the numbers through the tiles.
He called one year to ask me what I wanted for Christmas. I told him I wanted a Barbie, not knowing that my mom had already told Aunt Sharon to get me a paint set. Guess what…Uncle Gary sent me both!
I remember visiting his house in Delaware. Uncle Gary made sure I got to watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit, even though I wasn't allowed to. I was pretty grateful for that.
I also remember riding in his black Mustang. It felt like a spaceship.
Joel and I visited during our honeymoon. Uncle Gary took us out to a few different places, but he made sure Joel got to see an alligator, which was very cool. Joel enjoyed visiting with Uncle Gary and seeing all his fun toys. We had so much fun with Joshua, too. There was definitely a special bond between Joshua and Uncle Gary

No comments: