Friday, August 1, 2008

GARY IN HAPPIER TIMES




The top left picture was taken at Nana Harper's 80th birthday.
The other is a picture of Gary and Josh horsing around.
This is Gary before the worries overtook him.
The bottom pictures were taken by Gary's brother Ron on a vacation back in
These are pictures of Gary before his family troubles overtook him.
Gary's brother Ron wrote this.
In 2006 we were visiting my parents in Florida and I went to a children’s soccer game with Gary. At the time Gary was working out with weights (as you can see). While we were there Gary and I took a motorcycle ride. He rode his super fast sport bike and I rode the much slower street/dirt bike. Florida does not have a helmet law, although with my limited riding skills, I wore one. I remember Gary riding in front of me with his flattop hair cut, cool sunglasses and newly acquired muscles. He looked much tougher than I did!
While we were at the soccer game I told him to show me the “gunboats” and he struck this pose. This picture really illustrates something about Gary. When he did something, he gave it his all. I’m not sure how much he weighed in this picture, but he must have been pushing 200. When he died he couldn't’t have weighed much more than 150. Why? He was running six miles a day. He had taken on the body of a long distance runner.
Gary's Dad;
I wish Gary looked like that because he was running, Helen and I were very close to Gary before this happened. He came to our house on the way home from work often, and talked to Helen almost every day. He had asked Helen and me for advice about problems he was having, he was talking to me about very personal problems. He had never done this before, I gave some advice that was right, but was the wrong advice for his problem. I don’t think if I had given other advice it would have mattered. What happened was going to happen, the detectives told us Darryl was going to murder Gary whether it was now or later it was going to be done.
Gary’s spirit about things will surely be missed.

No comments: